[WWE News] ‘Hell in a Cell 2012’ Preview; Lineup + Predictions
Tonight WWE presents Hell in a Cell live from the Philips Arena in Atlanta, Georgia and it has the potential to be a game changer depending on what happens in the main event. Click “read more” for a run-down of the (announced) lineup plus my own thoughts and predictions.
Main Event: CM Punk (c) Vs. Ryback for the WWE Championship [Hell in a Cell]
- This match has every wrestling fan buzzing, talking, and speculating on how this match is going to go and frankly I love that; PPV’s have become so predictable in recent years so it’s refreshing to get a match where the majority don’t automatically know what’s going to happen. With Ryback being positioned as an unstoppable monster a lot of people are saying that he might actually beat Punk for the championship in order to “protect” him. The other side of the coin is that Punk defeats Ryback and continues on his (assumed) path to facing The Rock at Royal Rumble. And with the latter, many think it will end up “killing” Ryback before he’s even reached his potential. A lot of questions, a lot of intrigue, a lot of people nervous/excited to see what happens and this match could end up a game changer. But in my opinion Punk is going to walk away with the WWE Championship by hook or by crook; yes the ratings are slipping and WWE is getting nervous but Ryback isn’t the answer quite yet and frankly a Punk/Rock match in January is a goldmine waiting to be uncovered. In order to make that match matter I think Punk needs to hold onto the belt until then. So I do think he will retain…but that’s all I’m going to say because there are so many goddamn scenarios as to how it could happen.
- Official Prediction: CM Punk remains WWE Champion.
Sheamus (c) Vs. The Big Show for the World Heavyweight Championship
- Let the record show that I have really liked The Big Show during this feud; his no-nonsense promo work has been damn good (if underappreciated) and I’ve loved the way he’s been trying to get Sheamus to finally take him seriously. The big question in this match is “will Sheamus be able to hit his Brogue Kick?” and as good as Show is, I think this match goes to Sheamus via Brogue Kick (on a kneeling Show). HOWEVER, I think that Dolph Ziggler is going to cash in his Money in the Bank immediately afterwards and emerge World Heavyweight Champion much to the delight of the internet at large. Expect a Ziggler/Sheamus/Show triple threat to emerge out of this.
- Official Prediction: Sheamus retains; Dolph Ziggler cashes in his briefcase and wins the World Heavyweight Championship immediately after.
Kofi Kingston (c) Vs. The Miz for the WWE Intercontinental Championship
- The Kingston/Miz feud has been far more interesting than I expected it to be and from what I’ve heard they had an absolutely tremendous match on Main Event two weeks ago. But Miz is here to put Kingston over, make no bones about it and I see Kingston retaining after another hard-fought match. Here’s hoping this somehow catapults Miz to the main event scene in the aftermath while Kingston goes on to feud with some new blood (3MB, anyone? No? FINE).
- Official Prediction: Kofi Kingston retains.
Team Hell No (c) Vs. The Rhodes Scholars for the WWE World Tag Team Championship
- I absolutely love The Rhodes Scholars; Sandow and Rhodes have been perfect together personality-wise and although they’ve only recently become a team have shown tremendous chemistry. But I’m not fully convinced WWE is ready to take the belts off of Team Hell no yet; they’re still super over with the fans and for the majority of them, the act hasn’t worn thin yet. I would personally love to see a title change, but I don’t think we’ll get one here. Part of me hopes I’m wrong though.
- Official Prediction: Team Hell No retains by accidentally being good partners.
Eve Torres (c) Vs. Kaitlyn Vs. Layla for the WWE Divas Championship
- Torres has been great in her role over the past couple of months, but to be honest the whole storyline she’s had with Kaitlyn has been pretty terrible. A woman’s triple threat match is a rarity but is an interesting way to go about it. And although Torres will probably retain, I’m going go with Kaitlyn as my official prediction because why the hell not. She could shock the world (and so could Layla if it turns out she is the one who attacked Kaitlyn back in September). Either way I hope this official ends the Torres/Kaitlyn feud.
- Official Prediction: Kaitlyn wins the Divas Championship.
Randy Orton Vs. Alberto Del Rio
- Honestly? I could care less about this match on a storyline-level but I’m sure it’ll be good on an in-ring level. I’m going to pull for Del Rio here because frankly he’s more likely to get a higher profile push than Orton is due to outside forces (shooting a movie, having two strikes with the Wellness Policy). But Orton will probably RKO him after to give the fans something to cheer about.
- Official Prediction: Alberto Del Rio
And that’s the card for tonight’s Hell in a Cell. The show starts at 8PM/7PM Central so make sure to call your local cable provider to order the event or live in the 21st century and watch it online at WWE.com.