[TV Results] WWE Raw – 10/22/2012 (‘Hell in a Cell 2012’ Go-Home Show)
This week on Raw: AJ Lee is removed from power due to an accusation concerning her and one of the biggest stars on the WWE roster, the tag team tournament finally concluded, a Main Event rematch main events the show, and the build to Hell in a Cell commenced. Click “read more” for the results, big segments, and the current Hell in a Cell lineup for this Sunday.
All information from this edition of Raw comes courtesy of Chris Shore and his live coverage of the event over at ProWrestling.net.
1. Rhodes Scholars (Damien Sandow/Cody Rhodes) defeated Rey Mysterio/Sin Cara to win the Tag Team Tournament.
- Notes: Rhodes Scholars now go on to face Team Hell No for the WWE Tag Team Championship at Hell in a Cell.
2. [WWE Intercontinental Champion] Kofi Kingston pinned Michael McGillicutty in a non-title match.
- Note: The Miz joined Michael Cole and Jim Ross on commentary for the match to hype up his match against Kingston at Hell in a Cell and to bemoan his upcoming match tonight with Ryback.
3. Justin Gabriel pinned [WWE United States Champion] Antonio Cesaro in a non-title match.
4. Ryback pinned The Miz.
5. Dolph Ziggler pinned Daniel Bryan.
- Notes: Bryan’s partner Kane came to ringside during the match and cost Bryan the match by getting a “Yes!” chant started. Ziggler hit a second rope Zig Zag for the pin.
6. The Big Show pinned Kane.
- Note: The Rhodes Scholars came out to watch the match, distracting Bryan and Kane and allowing Big Show to take advantage for the victory.
7. Alberto Del Rio defeated Zack Ryder via Submission.
8. Main Event: [WWE Champion] CM Punk pinned [World Heavyweight Champion] Sheamus in a non-title Lumberjack match.
- Notes: It was billed at the largest lumberjack match in WWE history with 30 men surrounding the ring. The Big Show interfered and chokelammed Sheamus from the apron, allowing Punk to get the tainted victory.
John Cena/CM Punk: John Cena came out to address the crowd and hype up the WWE Universe for Hell in a Cell. He talked about why he endorsed Ryback to be Punk’s opponent this Sunday and how Ryback’s win will change the face of the WWE, which brought out the WWE Champion and his adviser Paul Heyman. Punk said he helped change the WWE for the better by keeping Cena away from the belt for so long and then said Cena chose Ryback because he himself couldn’t defeat Punk. Punk said he would be walking out of the show still champion. Cena responded by saying he was medically cleared to compete now and challenged Punk to fight him right now. Punk headed towards the ring, much to the chagrin of Heyman, and got on the apron but was talked down by his adviser at the last second. Punk retreated to the back proudly holding his WWE Championship over his head.
A New GM…Sort-of: Vince McMahon and GM AJ Lee were in the ring as they came back from commercial, and McMahon handed it over to Lee to announce the news coming out of her meeting with the Board of Directors earlier that day. Lee took the mic and said that due to allegations of fraternization with a wrestler on the roster (allegations she said weren’t true) she was resigning as GM. Lee then thanked McMahon for the opportunity and the fans for supporting her, as well as a brief history of her life growing up in NY/NJ (being homeless, sleeping in cars, etc.). Paul Heyman came out immediately after and told McMahon the many reasons why he should be the new GM. McMahon gave Heyman a stern “no” and then announced the new “Managing Supervisor” of Raw: Vickie Guerrero. Guerrero made her way out and thanked the Board for having confidence in her. Heyman tried to get Punk’s ability to choose his opponent this Sunday back but Guerrero denied him and then announced Punk would face World Heavyweight Champion Sheamus in a Lumberjack match, the biggest in WWE history. Heyman stormed off in protest. Guerrero then got into Lee’s face and yelled at her for having an “affair” with one of the wrestlers on the roster. Lee teased leaving the ring but attacked Guerrero instead and they had a good ol’ fashioned clothes-ripping catfight. Guerrero escaped as Lee’s music played over the PA.
Kaitlyn/Eve Torres/Layla Backstage Brawl: Kaitlyn confronted Eve Torres backstage about what Teddy Long found on her iPad last Friday on Smackdown. Apparently it was an email Torres had sent Kaitlyn which somehow set up her up to be attacked at Night of Champions. Torres tried to play and straight and said she would tell Smackdown GM Booker T about it but Kaitlyn told her to drop the act. Torres slapped Kaitlyn and the two started brawling. In popped Layla who also got into the fracas before refs finally broke it up.
The Newly-Tag Game: After the Bryan/Ziggler match, Matt Striker came out to host the “Newly-Tag Game” on orders from Vickie Guerrero. Striker had them both tell the audience about themselves, and Kane and Bryan proceeded to make with the comedy bios. The Rhodes Scholars came out but protested even being involved in this game show and left. Striker declared Team Hell the winners via forfeit. Bryan celebrated the win while Kane decided to once again attack Striker. Out came The Big Show, who tossed Striker out of the ring and set up the Show/Kane match which occurred immediately after.
And AJ’s “Affair” Was With…: Backstage John Cena caught up with AJ Lee and asked the identity of the person she allegedly had an affair with. Lee said it was him due to a “business dinner” they had last week. Cena promised to take care of it. He later caught up to Vince McMahon as he was leaving the arena. McMahon said the evidence was incriminating and Guerrero’s new position “was what it was”. He said that Lee was on probation and on her way to possibly being fired and then left in his limo. After the Ryder/Del Rio match Cena caught up with Vickie Guerrero and got in her face about the accusations. He called her a backstabbing liar and was upset he cost Lee a job she loved. Guerrero said he cost her the job by asking her out on a date last week on Raw and then actually going out on said date. Cue the soap opera music, jeez.
The End of the Show: After Punk emerged victorious in the lumberjack match, Ryback made his way out to the ring. Punk tried to run but the lumberjacks threw him back into the ring and Ryback hit a running powerslam. Punk tried to run again but the lumberjacks pushed him back in once again and he was victim to a sitout powerbomb. Punk tried again to run but was thrown back in and Ryback finally hit the Shell Shock.
Current Hell in a Cell 2012 Lineup:
- Hell in a Cell: CM Punk (c) Vs. Ryback for the WWE Championship
- Sheamus (c) Vs. The Big Show for the World Heavyweight Championship
- Kofi Kingston (c) Vs. The Miz for the WWE Intercontinental Championship
- Team Hell No (c) Vs. The Rhodes Scholars for the WWE World Tag Team Championship
- Randy Orton Vs. Alberto Del Rio