[PPV Results] WWE Money in the Bank 2012
Last night, WWE held their yearly Money in the Bank PPV. From most accounts, it was a lackluster show which makes me feel better for not having ordered it. But still the results are important, so here they are in quick, digestible form in the order they were presented at the show. Occasional comments from me included for free. Results come courtesy of ProWrestling.net.
Pre-Show: R-Truth/Kofi Kingston (c) defeated Hunico/Camacho to retain the WWE Tag Team Titles
1. Smackdown Money in the Bank: Dolph Ziggler defeated Tensai, Damien Sandow, Santino Marella, Christian, Tyson Kidd, Sin Cara, and Cody Rhodes to win the Money in the Bank.
- Even though I’m still firmly in the “Cody Rhodes is the future” camp, the right man won here. Ziggler is ready to become a main eventer; here’s hoping he gets a legitimate shot and doesn’t get Swagger-ed.
2. World Heavyweight Title Match: Sheamus (c) defeated Alberto Del Rio to retain the World Heavyweight Title
- Good to see Smackdown will never escape its “B-show” stigma. Sigh.
3. Primo/Epico defeated The Prime Time Players (Titus O’ Neil/Darren Young)
- The Prime Time Players are the number one contenders to the WWE Tag Team Titles, yet take a loss and on PPV no less. Why wasn’t this on the pre-show instead of the tag title match? Makes no sense to me.
4. No-DQ Match for the WWE Title (w/ A.J. as the special referee): CM Punk (c) defeated Daniel Bryan to retain the WWE Championship.
- This was definitely the toughest match to call, but I’m not all that surprised Punk got the victory. He’s a marquee player and as much as I love Daniel Bryan, Punk is better suited to be Raw’s top dog. The Bryan/Punk/A.J. storyline isn’t over though from what I’ve read of the results, but I think an interesting wrinkle may be added considering who won the Raw Money in the Bank…
5. Handicap Match: Ryback defeated Curt Hawkins/Tyler Reks
6. Six-Women Tag Team Match: Layla/Kaitlyn/Tamina defeated Eve Torres/Beth Phoenix/Natalya
7. Raw Money in the Bank (Main Event): John Cena defeated The Big Show, Kane, Chris Jericho, and The Miz to win the Money in the Bank
- Even though The Miz made a most welcome return to the WWE by interjecting himself in the match, it was all but destined that John Cena was going to win the MitB. I expect him to get woven into the Punk/Bryan/A.J. storyline leading to a triple threat match at Summerslam for the title. Okay not expect; I hope that’s what happens. And given that Cena is WWE’s top star and the A.J. story is their top angle, it makes sense to weave them together. Could be fun.
So how’d I do in predicting the results (of the advertised matches)? I got 3/4 correct, with the Smackdown Money in the Bank being the only one I missed. I went with my heart instead of my head (Cody Rhodes 4 LYFE). I don’t regret missing out on Money in the Bank 2012 though; it looked very predictable and didn’t warrant the money WWE would’ve overcharged me. Maybe Summerslam will be a different story…
Did you watch Money in the Bank and love it? Feel free to comment and sh*t on my very ill-informed opinion!